Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Entry #7 (Eng 102) - Hashtag Nation

What the crap people...

I really don't get it.  I see hashtags everywhere, it's kind of impossible to miss them at this point.  Yet I still don't quite get it.  I have to say that I do feel a bit more enlightened about their origins and what the original purpose for them is (I never knew they actually serve to categorize posts relating to the topic that's "hashtagged" - that's pretty cool).  Still, what's the deal with all the hashtags?  

I think I'm a bit on the fence in regard to hashtags.  I can see how there are ways that the use of hashtags could be really amazing.  The ALS challenge, calls for various social movements like Black Lives Matter and even the use of them in the wake of disasters or terrorist attacks around the world to show unity and general solidarity can be amazing things.   I think in many ways hashtags can be used to start conversations and to push issues into the spotlight which might otherwise be seen as taboo or shied away from.  Though I do have to wonder, as others have in articles I've read, whether or not these 'armchair' social movement is actually making any real changes.  The "Me Too" hashtag is a pretty powerful one and it has sparked conversation - but for how long?  Will the power behind these hashtag movements have enough steam to actually see real change come from the discussions?  
And then there's the random shit hashtags.  Are these seriously necessary?  Do you really have to hashtag all this random stuff with pictures of your food?  Is it that big of a deal that you need to hashtag how blessed you feel because you saw a pretty sunset?  Are these things necessary to somehow enrich your or other's lives?  What's the point?  Seriously.  Someone please tell me!  I don't get it!  Please tell me I haven't already managed to somehow be over the hill that I'm failing to grasp the absolute importance of hashtagging your morning coffee with something about Monday blues. 
This.  ALL of this.  I've seen it.  I don't even have Twitter and I've still somehow managed to see this happen.  How many hashtags do you really need to have people?  2-3 is plenty.  Stop.  Staaaaap.  Learn some restraint!  Less is more.  A lot less.  Please.  For the sake of our sanity!  This is getting out of hand. 
This needs to be the only form of hashtag that is permissible outside of social movement hashtags.  I do not need to know that you're having "first world problems" nor do I particularly care if you're having "TGIF" or just about anything else  At least if you're going to use a hashtag for random, inane crap, limit yourself to one or two.  If you have more lines of hashtags than you do of actual written words about whatever it is you're talking about you're doing it wrong.  Gah!  I really am just very lost on why this is so popular for random things. 
I use this meme quite sarcastically.  This post needs no hashtags.  Why?  Because they aren't necessary!  Maybe this is the moment I should use one and do a "#firstworldproblems" or something.  It seems like talking about (or complaining over) the needless random use of hashtags is absolutely a first world problem.  Still.  Maybe someone can explain why everything seems to have a hashtag nowadays.  The social movements or unity support after tragedies I can understand, I support that, I get it.  Complaining about your Monday with a hashtag instead of just complaining about your Monday and why it sucks is apparently beyond my comprehension however.  Someone... please... enlighten me?  Explain this?  Somehow?  What am I missing?  Put me out of my misery and leave a comment to help enlighten me on this matter.  Till next time!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry #11 (Eng 102) - Let the Lesson Continue!

Welcome to the world of blogging... So here you are at the start of your English class thinking how you totally have this nailed already...